Simple and classic, easy and timeless. If you want to be chic, stylish and sophisticated, the easiest way is the French way. From country cottages, to bustling bistros and beautiful accessories for self and home—the French do them well.
Sleep Softly, Classical Lullabies performed by L’Ensemble Agora and illustrated by Elodie Nouhen is no exception—it’s a lovely little work of French art and style. And a gorgeous collection of classical lullabies fit for sleeping baby or meditating mom.
This dreamy little book and accompanying CD features the sweet, tranquilizing melodies of Brahms, Schubert, Debussy and more. The music is magnificent—from the hypnotic rhythm of Barcarolle from Offenbach’s The Tales of Hoffman to the quiet charm of Satie’s Gymnopedie No. 1 and the nostalgic familiarity of Brahms’ iconic Lullaby. This is music to devour—slowly, effortlessly, joyfully.
- Composer: David Pastor
- Illustrator: Élodie Nouhen
- Binding: Hardcover, 36pp.
- Publisher: The Secret Mountain; Har/Com Bl edition (4/1/2015)
- ISBN-10: 2924217245
- ISBN-13: 978-2924217245
- Dimensions: 7.8″ x 8.6″ x 0.3″
Equally exquisite are the illustrations. Created to complement each composition, Elodie Nouhen’s delicate musings are light in stroke, whimsical in character and a pleasure to digest. There is an unexpected femininity and masculinity to each page—the pairing of lace-like butterfly wings and pink peonies with dancing drummer boys and splashy jesters in plaid pajamas is a beautiful dichotomy that works.
Poets, music lovers and inquisitive minds will love the commentary that accompanies each featured work—tiny little treasures sprinkled on the page to inspire and inform, like this lovely poem by Ludwig Rellstab that Schubert’s Swan Song Serenade is set to:
My songs beckon softly
Through the night to you
Below in the quiet grove
Come to me, beloved
The rustle of slender leaf tips whispers
In the moonlight
Do not fear the evil spying
Of the betrayer, my dear
Do you hear the nightingales call?
Ah, they beckon to you
With the sweet sound of their singing
They beckon to you for me
Sleep Softly is a contemplative collection of tunes for mellow moments—or chaotic ones when peace is the perfect prescription to clear the mind and ease the body. It’s a lovely gift for self, family or friend. And a beautiful addition to any library or community collection.
- 1. Barcarolle 2.22 Jacques Offenbach
- 2. Après un rêve (After a Dream) 3.08 Gabriel Fauré
- 3. Von Fremden Ländern (Of Foreign Lands) 1.30 Robert Schumann
- 4. La boîte à Joujou (The Toybox) 1.16 Claude Debussy
- 5. Gymnopédie No. 1 3.24 Eric Satie
- 6. La poupée (The Doll) 2.07 Georges Bizet
- 7. Sändmannchen (The Little Sandman) 2.31 Johannes Brahms
- 8. Wiegenlied (Lullaby) 0.56 Johannes Brahms
- 9. Solveig’s Song 3.16 Edvard Grieg
- 10. Schlafe, mein Prinzchen, schlaf ein (Sleep, My Little Prince, Fall Asleep) 0.48 Bernard Flies
- 11. Ständchen (Serenade) 4.17 Franz Shubert
- 12. Gute nacht (Good Night) 2.48 Franz Shubert
- 13. Pavane de la Belle au bois dormant (Sleeping Beauty’s Pavane) 1.46 Maurice Ravel
- 14. Feuillet d’album (Album Leaf) 1.46 Emmanuel Chabrier
- 15. Dors, ami (Sleep, my friend) 0.52 Jules Ma